Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Home is Where the Heart Is

Our furnace decided to kick the bucket the Sunday after my birthday (yeah, happy bday to me...and it was my 30th too). So, to keep from freezing, my husband decides to take me and the girls to his mom's until it can be fixed. Three hours away. He then was to return back to town to work and get the furnace fixed. (that's why I haven't been able to post much, I was busy keeping the kids from all sorts of trouble at grandma's, along with taking grandma everywhere and shopping. I so wish we had a super target here.)

I love my mother-in-law. I don't know what would become of us without her, but it was a long ten days without my husband. I have a new respect for single mothers. I don't know how you do it. I was missing him, all of our friends in the area were out of town for Thanksgiving, and I was lonely. Couple that with kids who are not yet of the age to totally understand what is going on (3 and going on 2) who missed their daddy something terrible, I about went nuts.

As cliche' as it sounds, there really is no place like home, and it is definitely where my heart is. On the Friday after Thanksgiving when we got to return home, it made my heart glad to just pull into the driveway. Even though our house has many issues, it is still ours. Even though I knew I was coming back into where my poor husband lived as a bachelor for a week and a half, it is still where my heart was. This is the place where we love and be loved. Where we eat around the table for dinner and share our lives with each other and anyone whom the Lord sends our way. This is where the children are being raised, where they know they are safe and life is predictable for them.

As much as I love being home, I know there is a better home waiting for me. One that doesn't have a randomly leaking roof, no weird bugs, the heater won't quit after 42 years of service (it was about time for it to retire, don't you think?). While I long for the day where I can go to the Home I long for, I will try from now on to make this home where I am at now a better place to be. A place where you are safe, you feel loved and secure. I intend to step up the housekeeping chores and try to maintain this home better. Granted, there are a ton of challenges with having young children, it will be worth it.

Excuse me for now, I have a kitchen that is needing some attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I do moderate them to make sure things stay civil. And if I don't get them posted right away, I do apologize, things can get rather hectic with two small kids, one really old dog and a husband who's work schedule is rarely the same from week to week.