Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Teaching Reading

We started teaching the Bugs to read last week. It is quite an adventure. We are using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. It is the SRA/DISTAR method. She's eating up this school thing. Begs to do school from the time she wakes up until we put her to bed at night. We do her lesson for reading (we are up to lesson 8) and then we do some pages from a tracing workbook, a Precious Moments counting workbook and a few other skills books. She loves the workbook pages and is excited to be learning to read.

So far, I think the reading lessons are going well. The book is laid out clearly and is designed so anyone can teach it. So, if you have been thinking of trying to teach your child, I suggest trying this. Another good book for teaching reading is Barbara Curtis' Mommy Teach Me to Read. I borrowed that one from our public library and if the 100 Easy Lessons ends up not working, that is what I am going to go to. My MIL bought me a copy of it and I figure it was free, and everyone I know who has tried it, has had it work for their children.

Bugs isn't wanting to nap today. She's crawled into her sister's bed and I think stood on it twice now as I have heard two thunks that resulted in crying and having to be investigated. She is currently sitting next to me in the recliner. I pray she isn't trying to give up naps yet. I'm not ready for it. Bugs gave them up before she was this age.

I've got a child begging for more school and a cranky toddler on my hands, one who keeps trying to open the cd rom drive on the laptop. Have to get going. Hope you are having a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I do moderate them to make sure things stay civil. And if I don't get them posted right away, I do apologize, things can get rather hectic with two small kids, one really old dog and a husband who's work schedule is rarely the same from week to week.