Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Review of The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns

A Review of The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Sterns, President of World Vision, U.S.

“Saved by faith. Saved for works,” sums up the message of The Hole in Our Gospel written by Richard Stearns who is the president of World Vision, U.S. Mr. Stearns did an excellent job of writing this book from a balanced view point of doing works, but also of having faith. So many books on this topic address just the need for works, tries to guilt the reader into doing more projects and just makes one feel like slime for not doing everything. Richard Stearns' book is different. He explains the plight of the majority of the inhabitants of the world, explains how it is our Christian responsibility to do something in light of the scripture and then leave it for the reader to discern exactly what God is calling him to do.

This book was a hard book for me to read and is very convicting. How many American Christians are living the easy life? How many of us go about our lives, go to church and think we are fine? It is time to move from complacency into a life of intentional action. This book challenged me to find ways to serve now. I have time, I have talents that can be used where I live now. While reading this book, God planted a few ideas of things to prepare for, for the future. Ideas I wouldn't have dreamed of otherwise. I recommend this book to anyone who needs to see that as Christians we have a responsibility to not only have faith, but to have the works to back it up. Don't read this book if you are happy with the status quo and don't think that one should reach out to others and help them to rise out of their circumstances of poverty. However, do read this to challenge your thinking on why people live in poverty all over the world, why the cycle needs to be broken and what you can do about it. If everyone did something, then eventually, this world will be radically changed. God called us to live radically for Him. Do so.

I was given a copy of The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns from Thomas Nelson to read and review. All opinions are mine and mine alone.

I am going to see if I can get my husband to embed a picture of the cover of the book. I'm having issues. Like normal...